Aguirre, the Wrath of God - Film Review

OUTSTANDING FILM
★★★★★- 5 Stars 
      Aguirre, the Wrath of God is not the story of a historical hero but a villain. Aguirre is a mad tyrant, or so he is becoming one throughout the film. The film was one of Herzog's firsts and it is truly a great start. About half way through the movie I was thinking, "This is no 'best film of all time' material. So what's all the rage?". I realized more into the film the story development and the hatred you feel for Aguirre as he is the last one aboard the raft with all the monkeys on it. Klaus Kinski's performance was so good that I cannot even picture a different actor in the role.
      The movie went on to become a cult classic, but not a 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' or 'Pink Flamingos' cult classic. A cult classic that everyone in the audience loves and tries to act like Aguirre. Some theaters have actual rafts you sit on as the movie goes on. I don't think they have actual monkeys though nor do I recommend it. Either way you should see this movie. It's no 'Godfather' but it is truly a remarkable experience and deserves a spot on my "Outstanding Films" list.

Comments

Popular Posts