Un Chien Andalou - Film Review

OUTSTANDING FILM

★★★★★- 5 Stars

This film. Man... where to start with this film? It is THE most avant-garde film I've seen to date. The film is brilliant because it has no story, yet it wants to send some sort of message. It's like it wants to tell you something using visual metaphors to express its opinions. Un Chien Andalou, in my view, is trying to show how a person's desires can take over themselves leaving others to not enjoy their presence. That would be between causing harm to another (eye-slitting), depression after death (hand in the streets), and sexual desires (touching of the robe). I say "my view" because the film is made to be interpreted in multiple different ways. That's the beauty of it.
The film is short, BUT, should not be watched until you have a good understanding of film. This film actually opened my eyes to watch more avant-garde and surrealistic films. I believe that they all try to send a message, but the film challenges you to try to interpret that message. I may be wrong about Un Chien Andalou but whose to say we're not all wrong?

Comments

Popular Posts